PAVED Arts Production Assistant
$18 per hour, 30 hours a week
Contract dates: Ideally June 12 to December 15
Apply by June 5, 2023 by 6 pm CST
PAVED Arts is seeking applications for the position of Production Assistant. This six-month internship offers a unique opportunity to gain community engagement experience, work directly with youth and professional artists, and coordinate the programming and presentation of new works created by young and emerging artists in Saskatoon.
Committed to employment equity, PAVED Arts encourages applications from Indigenous people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women. Members of equity groups will be prioritized for this position as long as they meet the minimum job requirements. PAVED Arts is committed to a workplace free of discrimination, violence, and harassment.
The successful applicant will be hired by PAVED Arts, an established non-profit, artist-run gallery and production centre and will work closely with partner organization, Chokecherry Studios; an emerging non-profit organization offering art-based programming to young and emerging artists in the inner-city of Saskatoon.
The production assistant will work directly with the Executive, Artistic, and Program directors of PAVED Arts to provide support with administration, installation and realization of exhibitions and programs at PAVED over the course of the internship.
Primary responsibilities will include:
Manage extended evening programming for youth in the Audio Production Suite, Develop youth programming based on the needs of the community youth, Assist with exhibition installation, gallery sitting, and support digital website communications for the organization. The production assistant will be expected to attend, propose, develop and assist workshops for PAVED Arts’ Membership and members of the community. Under the supervision of PAVED’s Programming Director, you will assist in a series of workshops for a core-group of youth participants and program these works into a final showcase co-presented by PAVED Arts and Chokecherry Studios. The production assistant will also provide support to PAVED’s production centre and presentation space. Production centre duties include: assisting with equipment rentals, touring new members, and introducing new members to our production suites.
- The production assistant will demonstrate critical thinking, problem-solving and self-motivation while working as part of a team, making contributions to the overall operations of PAVED Arts throughout the internship.
- The candidate should have a relevant BA or BFA degree or equivalent experience or training in visual art, art history, curatorial studies or related field.
- Experience in the PAVED Arts (photo, audio, video, electronic, and digital media)
- Ambitions of continuing a career in arts administration, programming or a related field
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, are prerequisite, as well as exceptional attention to detail, including proofreading and editing capabilities.
- Experience working with marginalized youth and/or volunteering at youth-serving organizations.
- The successful candidate shall be subject to a Criminal Record Check, including a vulnerable sector query, as a condition of employment.
Must also meet all the YCW criteria:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- are unemployed or underemployed;
- are a college or university graduate; and
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program.
PAVED Arts is located in the heart of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in the neighbourhood of Riversdale. The city has a vibrant and active cultural landscape with many museums, public and private galleries, non-profit and community-based cultural centres. Saskatoon is home to a diverse and supportive artistic community. The city actively hosts many festivals, outdoor concerts and special events throughout the year.
If you are applying from another province or territory, PAVED Arts will provide you with a $500 relocation fee.
Please send a CV and cover letter to PAVED Arts Executive Director, Travis Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline is Monday, June 5, 2023 by 6 pm CST.